Dr. A.K. Cherian
Founder of St Thomas Hospital, Malakkara
The Society is named after him to honor his spirit of service to the community
Our Founder, the late Captain, Dr. A. K .Cherian (who served in the British Army during the Second World War), returned to his native place over 64 years agp with a burning heart for social service. Being a doctor, he decided to serve the community by starting a small hospital named St. Thomas Hospital.
The response was amazing as there was no hospital nearby. He served the community for nearly 20 years and his death was a great loss. He was a gifted compassionate man with great vision.
Many who were treated by him, felt his hands had special healing qualities (Kai Punyam.) It was Dr. A. K. Cherian who first set in place mechanisms to treat poor patients with free or subsidized care. Not seeking undue rewards or money.
His son Dr. A Cherian and grandson Dr. Charlie Cherian have followed in his footsteps maintaining Dr. A. K. Cherian’s principles and vision. Together they have developed new initiatives in social service and systematized efforts towards charity care.
The result of their desire for service was a AK Cherian Society, formed under the rules laid down by the Kerala State Government: The Dr. A.K. Cherian Memorial Society.
The Society is controlled by a General Body whose members are from the public, which is the final and supreme body. There is managing committee which has a President, Vice President, Secretary, Joint Secretary and Treasurer. Dr. A. Cherian was elected as the President of the society, recognizing his vast experience in society both as a Philanthropist and also as a medical professional.
Aims and Objectives
- The main aim of this organization is to serve the people in educational, medical, social, cultural and financial areas irrespective of caste and creed.
- To render free medical or surgical treatment, medicines and nutritious food to socially and economically backward people irrespective of caste and creed.
- To improve financial stability of women and make them self-sufficient.
- To fight against social evils such as illegal drugs, drinking addiction, immoral behavior, AIDS trafficking in human beings and other social issues.
- To collaborate with related groups who serve through medical and surgical supports such as Cleft Children International, Switzerland.
Dr. A. Cherian : President
Dr. Somanathan Nair : V. President
Dr. Charlie Cherian : Treasurer
Dr. Thomas Mathew : Secretary
Dr. Pradeep Thomas : Jt. Secretary
Mr. George P. Varghese : Member
Mr. Eapen Cherian : Member
How you can become a Partner
Those who have a thirst for serving the community can join us. Your valuable and generous contributions may please be sent to the
Account No. HDFC Bank 04641450000130
Chengannur, Kerala, India